The El Quimbo Environmental Management Plan is the detailed set of measures and activities that, as a result of an environmental assessment, are aimed at preventing, mitigating, correcting or compensating the environmental impacts and effects duly identified, that are caused by the development of a project, work or activity.
The EMP for the construction of El Quimbo Hydroelectric Plant is composed of two fundamental aspects:
Environmental Aspect: includes the physical part (water, earth, air, waste and noise) and the biotic part, (fauna and flora).
Socioeconomic and cultural aspect: it contemplates everything related to people and the way they live, relate and obtain their sustenance, that is, the environment, the social fabric, customs, traditions, archaeological heritage, employment, population resettlement, the reactivation of their productive activity, among others.
The EMP considers the following environmental effects (impacts):
- Alteration of water quality.
- Alteration of air quality and noise.
- Affectation by generation of excavation residues.
- Generation of domestic and industrial solid waste.
- Alteration of the soil, among others.
In this sense, nine (9) programs have been designed to prevent, mitigate, control or compensate for these effects:
- Management of surplus waste.
- Water resource management.
- Care and protection of sites.
- Restoration of temporary use areas.
- Solid waste management.
- Handling sources of noise emissions.
- Water quality management.
- Soil management.
- Environmental management of blasting.
The EMP seeks to prevent, mitigate, control and/or compensate, among others, the following environmental effects:
- Loss of vegetation.
- Alteration of animal habitats and landscape quality.
- Affectation of terrestrial fauna.
- Alteration of fishing activity.
In this sense, four (4) programs have been designed to prevent, mitigate, control or compensate for these effects:
- Management of vegetation cover and land habitats:
Its goal is to establish 11.079.6 hectares of tropical dry forest, in an area close to the reservoir as compensation for the ecosystems intervened by the Project, during the construction of the reservoir and the worksite.
- Wildlife management:
Implemented to reduce the risk of damaging organisms that may be affected by the intervetion, and will incluide removal through noise, smoke, etc., capture, transfer, and medical attention of fauna, at the beginning and during the construction of the Project.
- Contingent rescue of fish (During the deviation of the Magdalena River)
It seeks to rescue the fishes that can get stuck and trapped in pounds during the operation of the tunnel that will deviate the Magdalena River.
- Management and protection of fishery and fish resources of the Upper Magdalena River Basin in the area of influence of El Quimbo Hydroelectric Project.
For the protection of the fish this program will be implemented oriented to the study, surveillance and control, It will allow obtaining information about the structure and functioning of the communities of fish in the fisherman sector of the Magdalena River and their tributaries.